Mother Jones reports that this year alone there had already been six mass shootings—and a record number of casualties, with 110 people injured and killed prior to the Sandy Hook incident.
The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School is the 12th mass shooting at a school in the United States in the past 30 years, according to Mother Jones; it is the second deadliest shooting behind the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007 that killed 33 and injured 23.
- Cleveland Elementary School shooting in 1989, leaving 6 dead and 29 injured.
- University of Iowa shooting in 1991, leaving 6 dead and 1 injured.
- Lindhurst High School shooting in 1992, leaving 4 dead and 10 injured.
- Westside Middle School shooting in 1992, leaving 5 dead and 10 injured.
- Thurston High School shooting in 1998, leaving 4 dead and 25 injured.
- Columbine High School shooting in 1999, leaving 15 dead and 24 injured.
- Red Lake Senior High School shooting in 2005, leaving 10 dead and 5 injured.
- Amish schoolhouse shooting in 2006, leaving 6 dead and 5 injured.
- Northern Illinois University shooting in 2008, leaving 6 dead and 21 injured.
- Oikos University shooting in 2012, leaving 7 dead and 3 injured.