Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Cross in the Oak

As I was going to war
I cut a cross in the oak,
So that father and mother shouldn't weep,
So that the crossed oak should weep.

Es, karā aiziedams,
Cirtu krustu ozolā,
Lai nerauda tēvs, māmiņa,
Lai raud krustiņš ozolā.


But they do weep, the mothers and fathers. Over six thousand US men and women have died in Iraq (4442) and Afghanistan (1584) as of June 2011, and yet our news media ignores these futile wars and their toll, and instead concentrates its coverage on the lives and deaths of sometime celebrities, who greatest contribution to society may be an object lesson in wasted lives.

No comments:

A Darker Past

  Broadway & 6th, Los Angeles, 1956 Part I. GROWING UP IN LOS ANGELES I was born in Los Angeles in 1938. My dad, and mom, and brother an...